Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Best Thing About Being a Caregiver

I know that it has been a couple of weeks since I sat down and wrote anything. It has just been so quiet around here lately. The Grandmas have been mostly staying in their rooms and doing their own things.

Yesterday though my parents ended up taking Boonie to the hospital. She had been dizzy all afternoon and ended up vomiting from it. The hospital admitted her and it will be Monday at the earliest before she can come home so please pray for her.

In my last post, I shared what I believe to be the worse thing about caregiving and that is how isolated you become, and honestly, I have to take most of the responsibility for that. Sometimes I think that I would have made a great hermit. (lol)

Today I want to share with you what I think is the best thing about being a caregiver...

THE STORIES!

I absolutely love it when people share their stories, and when living with your grandmas, you hear a lot of stories!

It is so easy to just see one side of a person like seeing Mom as just a mom or Dad as just a dad. We forget that people are multifaceted. Each person has many different roles that they play throughout their lives so I love it when I learn a new story about someone because I'm learning something new about that person.

I especially love it when the Grandmas tell stories from their childhoods. We live in the town that Grams grew up in and so I have learned a lot of the history of the area because of the stories that she has told. Boonie grew up in Netawaka, KS and I have been out there twice so it is easier to imagine the area she grew up in. I have seen the place where she used to live as a child.

Even now it is easy to fall into the trap of seeing the Grandmas as just the grandmas, but when they start to telling their stories, I start seeing them in a whole new way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment